As the images of 2012 begin to fade like a bad New Year’s Day hangover, we look forward to 2013 with optimism.
To be optimistic means you must be willing to change.
Here are a few resolutions that would make our community a better place in 2013:
• Obey the traffic laws. Red means stop. Yellow does not mean speed up.
• Attend at least one City Council meeting this year. Get to know the process of your local government.
• Get involved.
• Shop local. Quit spending your sales tax dollars in Tulsa.
• Go to at least one event at the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame this year. If you don’t, you might not have the option in the future.
• Support the arts locally. Attend an event at the Muskogee Little Theatre or the Roxy.
• Clean up your yard and volunteer to help someone clean up their yard.
• Get to know more of your neighbors. It will cut crime.
• Volunteer at least 12 hours this year for a nonprofit organization or cause.
• Become an ambassador for Muskogee. Be ready with at least two positive qualities to tell someone when they ask where you live.
• Say hello to at least one new person at every public event you attend. You will make new friends and bring our community closer together.
• Commit at least one random act of kindness per week.
• Get up and move. Your body will thank you some day.