Fireworks, family, and fun are good enough reasons to take a day to celebrate the birth of our country.
Here are a few more reasons to be grateful for the United States of America:
• You can have a difference of opinion with the leaders of your country without fear of being jailed or executed.
• Law enforcement, including police and prosecutors, must act in an open arena to ensure any criminal proceedings are witnessed by the public. That helps ensure we have the fairest possible legal system.
• Law enforcement is there to put their lives on the line on a daily basis to protect your life and property.
• Firefighters and other first-responders do the same thing every day.
• Men and women have been willing to die for your rights. Improvised explosive devices, bullets and bombs do not know political affiliations. Be grateful there are people willing to join the military without being drafted.
• In this country, you still have the ability to climb as high as your ambition and talent will take you.
• Sunshine laws prevent government from making decisions that affect your lives in private.
• A free media is the watchdog of government.
• Government can’t tell you what or where to worship.
• Countries throughout the world turn to the United States to help right wrongs and protect the vulnerable. We stand up for the weak or oppressed. Trust us, you would not want it the other way around.
Our country has flaws. Citizens try to correct those flaws every day.
But remember, you live in the greatest country on Earth.
God bless America.