Club news runs on Sundays. The deadline for club news is noon Wednesday.
Green Country Duplicate Bridge
Green Country Duplicate Bridge meets at 12:30 p.m. each Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the Kiwanis Senior Citizens Center, 119 Spaulding Blvd. Newcomers are welcome. If you are interested in playing or learning to play duplicate bridge, call Ann Kent at (918) 682-3098, Mary Smith at (918) 682-2605, or Sandy Cole at (918) 684-9002.
• Aug. 21 — Bill Porter and Mary Beyers, first; Mary Hoover and Minnie Sheffield, second; and Renee Tyrrell and Pat Weatherbee tied with Grace Sweeney and Marialice Davis, and Sandra Cole and Santa McWilliams for third.
• Aug. 23 —Marcia Robinson and Alice Barham, first; and Jane Lopes and Betty Jordan, second.
• Aug. 26 — Linda Stearns and Norma Kolmer, first; and Joan Chapman and Carol Ketchum, second.
No game will be played on Labor Day.
Sons of Confederate Veterans
Colonel Dew Moore Wisdom, Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 307 will meet at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Muskogee Public Library. The historical program will be “Charles William Read, Lieutenant, Confederate States Navy.” Read was called one of the outstanding naval officers on both sides during the War.
The public is invited to our meetings.
Information: Harold Tydings, (918) 459-6869 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Muskogee New Friends
Upcoming events for the Muskogee New Friends:
• Wednesday —Chickenfoot at Pat Adam's house. Bring a lunch and plan to eat at 11:30 a.m. Dessert and coffee will be provided.
• Thursday — Blood drive. See Dee Paige to volunteer.
• Friday — Board meeting at Odd Fellows Lodge, 720 W. Broadway. All officers must attend. Information: Sue Bishop, (918) 685-0164.
• Sept. 9 — Happy Quilters meeting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Chandler Road Church of Christ, 3500 Chandler Road. The club has finished another quilt and is working on a variety of handmade items, all of which will be in the club’s booth at the United Methodist’s annual “Frost on the Pumpkin Festival.”
• Sept. 13 — General meeting. Guest speaker will be Brooke Hall with the Muskogee Swim and Fitness Center. Meeting starts at 10 a.m. at the Odd Fellows Lodge, 720 W. Broadway.
Teamwork is necessary in all types of work environments. Every team needs a facilitator with the ability to help a team function effectively to generate results. One of the skills a competent leader in Toastmasters learns is the ability to facilitate.
Join us at 6:30p.m. Tuesday at Three Rivers Museum, 220 Elgin.
Aglow Community Lighthouse
Tahlequah Aglow Community Lighthouse will be featuring Carla Cary at 7 p.m. Sept. 12 in the Tahlequah Public Library Carnegie Room, 120 S. College Avenue.
After falling to a very low point in her life, Cary finally came to a place where she opened her heart up to the Lord, and let him change her. Cary will share her story and her new book.
Muskogee Garden Club
Garrett Fore of Fort Gibson was recently awarded a $500 horticulture scholarship by the Muskogee Garden Club. Fore recently started his sophomore year at Connors State College in pursuit of an associate’s degree in horticulture.
A 2012 graduate of Fort Gibson High School, Fore owns and operates Garrett Fore Lawn and Landscape Service in Fort Gibson.
Each summer, the Muskogee Garden Club offers a $500 horticulture scholarship to an area student pursuing a degree in horticulture or a related field.
If a student would like to be considered for the 2014 scholarship, contact Oyana Wilson at (918) 683-5380.
Books Sandwiched In
The Friends of the Library will begin Books Sandwiched In at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 11 at the Jim Lucas Checotah Public Library with poet/author Dr. Jennifer Kidney. Lunch will be served at 11:30 a.m. and costs $3.
Retired educator Wilmatine Griffin invites budding writers to the library’s monthly writers group beginning at 6 p.m. Sept. 16.