In honor of our great country and state, and the music each produces, the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame, along with the Oklahoma Blues Hall of Fame, presents “Red, White, and Blues and Barbecue” July 8 at 5:30 at the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame. The fundraising event will bring a taste of the famous Rentiesville Blues Festival to Muskogee, while raising funds for two outstanding causes. All proceeds from the event will benefit both the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame and the Oklahoma Blues Hall of Fame.
Five Oklahoma Blues Hall of Famers will showcase their soul-stirring music to a crowd enjoying barbecue, desserts, a cash bar, and silent auction. Featured artists scheduled to perform at the event include:
• Miss Blues, a living legend with a blues-shout style, from Texas by way of Oklahoma City, will perform. She has been featured on XM Radio's Bluesville, and lists Ron Harmon as her keyboard man.
• Bucky Young, born in Muskogee, made his first public appearance at the age of 15. He has played with the Bobby Blue Bland Band, Little Milton Campbell, Will Hutch, Steve Pryor and Flash Terry, just to name a few.
• Ruby Scott, a 75-year-old keyboard player, who appeared with Ernie Fields on the Dick Clark Show, will wow the crowd.
• Harry Williams, who toured with Ike and Tina Turner in 1963 and 1964, was Flash Terry's drummer and musical partner until Flash's passing in 2004. Flash Terry was an Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame Inductee.
• Selby Minner, who, along with her husband, Oklahoma blues legend and OK Music Hall of Fame Inductee, D.C. Minner, is co-founder of both the “Dusk til Dawn Blues Festival” and the OK Blues Hall of Fame. Selby owns the Rentiesville Blues Club and performs with her band, Blues on the Move.
• Tony Mathews, another OK Music Hall of Fame Inductee, who worked with both Ray Charles and Little Richard, will also perform at the event.
• Pat Moss of Tahlequah, who is an accomplished musician on the harp and guitar, will showcase his talent.
Silent Auction items include two guitars (one signed by artists at the Rentiesville Blues Festival last year, and the other a resophonic from Republic Guitars), a gift certificate from Square Deal Music, and many other items. Tickets to the event are $15 and can be purchased at the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame at 401 S. Third St. For more information about this event, call 687-0800 or (855-0978).