By Gary Perkins
I want to make everyone aware of a new Fort Gibson event that we just learned about this past week.
The Q.B Boydstun Public Library is hosting a “True Grit” Chili Cook-Off from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 28. They are asking for entries.
The following rules apply to all those who wish to enter:
• There is no charge to enter your chili, but you must register in advance, and bring a copy of your recipe.
• Spaces may be set up beginning at 4:30 p.m., with all chili in place by 5 p.m.
• Bring a spoon for serving the chili, and an extension cord for your pot or crock pot.
• Chili may be cooked at home, prior to the event, all from scratch, using your ingredients.
• You may enter either meat or meatless chili, but any potential allergens must be declared, such as nuts, chocolate, etc.
• Those entering are asked to bring at least 1.5 to 2 gallons of their chili, for sampling, which will begin at 6 p.m.
Taster kits will be sold for $5, and the organizers will provide bowls, spoons, napkins, etc. for that purpose.
Judging will be by “blind” judges, based on aroma, consistency, taste, and after-taste. Awards will be to the top three, plus a “tasters choice” award, based on general public appeal.
All proceeds will go toward the library’s 2014 Reading Program.
This is a great new local event that is perfect for those cold, raw January days. For information, please call Rhonda Lee at (918) 478-3587.
• • •
The chamber’s annual banquet is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Feb. 6 at the Three Forks Harbor River Center. The banquet features a silent auction, dinner, special entertainment, guest speaker, and a few special awards.
The banquet, which is a casual event, is open to everyone. The fee is only $20 per person and can be paid at the door. No RSVP is required.
We always get a great turnout for this event. The new Board of Directors of the chamber is announced and recognized. Watch for invitations to be out next week. We invite everyone to mark this on your calendar, and enjoy this night of fun and food.
For information, please give me a call at (918) 577-2069.
• • •
We had another great turnout at our weekly luncheon this past Thursday. Showing up for lunch, was Melinda Williams, Eli Cobler, Carol Milligan, Lisa Clayton, Judy Sadler, Kathy Perkins, Cheryl Hill, Tonia Cooper, Jerry Cooper, Mark Young, Rhonda Lee, Justin Young, Lauren Young, with “young” son Westin, and myself.
We appreciate the support these weekly luncheons have received for the past seven years.
Come join us at 11:30 a.m. each Thursday in January at the Courtyard Bistro.