, Muskogee, OK

May 14, 2014

PREP SOCCER: Tigers’ run ends in semis

By Chris Matthews
Phoenix Correspondent

— OKLAHOMA CITY – Fort Gibson could not control the ball and thus did not have control of the game in its semifinal matchup Tuesday against Oklahoma City’s Southeast High School.

Southeast got goals in the 35th minute and in the 61st minute and advanced to the state championship with a 2-0 win over the Tigers.

“Our touches were pretty bad tonight,” FGHS coach Todd Friend said, as his third-ranked team finished the year 12-5.

“Against a team like that in the semifinals you have to have better touches. If you cannot control the ball at your feet like we were not able to do tonight, then sometimes you do not come out the victor.”

No. 8 Southeast (13-2) controlled possession for much of the first half as the only shot for the Tigers came off of a set piece by Zach Peterson, but Spartan keeper Paulo Lopez did not have to move for the easy save.

Fort Gibson’s defense held for much of the first half. The Spartans did not have a shot directed at the goal until five minutes before halftime when Ruben Cervantes dropped it for Jesus Lopez, who sent a low shot past Tiger keeper Daniel Mielnik.

The game intensified in the second half as three yellow cards were handed out. The Tigers were able to put together more scoring opportunities after halftime.

The Tigers had a set piece just off of the corner of the box in the 50th minute that Ford sent towards the goal and went off of the cross bar, and Broc Peterson’s cross was cleared out of the box in the 59th minute.

The failed attempts cost them as Southeast countered and had a two on one attack as Cervantes found Oscar Hernandez and beat Mielnik to put the Spartans up two nil.

The Tigers continued to look for scoring opportunities, but continued to come up empty. In the 68th minute Zach Cobler had a good look at the goal, but his shot was blocked out of bounds for a corner kick. The Tigers could not take advantage as the resulting corner went harmlessly through the box.

The Tigers had another corner opportunity in the 74th minute, and a couple of Tigers whiffed at it as it crossed right in front of the goal. Just a couple of minutes later Johan Chavez made an impressive run through the Spartan defense and was taken down just outside the box.

The resulting free kick was shot right into the wall, which was the final opportunity for the Tigers.