Kickoff: 7:30 p.m.
Radio: KCXR 100.3 FM
Records: Owasso 0-1, Muskogee 0-1.
Last week: Broken Arrow 37, Owasso 16; Sand Springs 39, Muskogee 14.
Last meeting: Owasso 42, Muskogee 22 (2011).
The matchup: Owasso is led by the passing combination of Gabe Neph at quarterback and older brother Cole Neph at receiver. The latter, who caught 850 yards in passes in 2012, is 6-4 and 205 and a 4.7 40-yard guy. Seven starters on the defensive side and the Rams are particularly strong in the back end. Tyler LIndsey had three interceptions and Jordan Mitchell is also tough.
Muskogee enters a tough stretch of four games against state-ranked opponents, including two remaining non-district games. The Roughers were dead even well into the third quarter against Sand Springs but 25 unanswered points sent MHS to its third consecutive loss in the series. One of the positives from last week was in the Muskogee passing game. Quintahj Cherry was solid in his season debut, completing 23 passes for 219 yards and he found a balanced set of options. Bryson Bell, who had four catches for 96 yards but saw limited action in the second half, and Anthony King (9 catches, 50 yards) and James Buckhanan (3 catches, 41 yards and a TD).
Series notes: Owasso has won the last three meetings…Muskogee won the first six meetings in the series which began in 1992…Last year’s contest was stopped in the second quarter due to weather with Owasso leading, 28-0.
Series record: Muskogee leads, 10-8.
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m.
- Prep Sports
- Ex-Rougher coach gets Bixby job
- Key for MHS D is the middle: NT has potential; coordinator seeks more consistency
- High-five to MPS for baseball selection
- Prep offseason notebook
- Hilldale defense a work in progress
- Casey at the snap: Vian RB leads list of area’s top ground-gainers
- Hilldale assistant Frisby gets MHS baseball job
- Passing fancy: FTG captures title in 7-on-7 tournament
- Tahlequah lifts assistant to head softball job
- Tigers’ QB area’s most seasoned
- More Prep Sports Headlines