, Muskogee, OK

September 7, 2013

Ironheads open season with blanking of Sperry

By Wayne Bunch
Phoenix Correspondent

— EUFAULA – The Eufaula Ironheads avenged last year’s season-opening loss to Sperry with the 27-0 victory before 2,000 fans at Paul Bell Stadium on Friday night on the opening night of the 2013 season.

Devon Siers was the catalyst for the Ironheads as he scored two touchdowns and intercepted two Sperry passes in the victory.

“We got fortunate tonight,” said head coach Larry Newton. “We did the things that we had to do to win the game.”

Newton praised the play of Siers, saying: “He’s by far the best player we got. He’s a leader who plays all out every play.”

The Ironheads dominated the first half of play, grinding out a 14-0 lead behind a punishing ground attack.

“We wanted to pound the ball against them,” Newton said. “That’s our mentality and the type of game we play. The kids played an outstanding game.”

Eufaula rolled up 115 yards on the ground in the half and finished with 203 yards, while its defense stymied the Pirates’ rushing attack.

Sperry managed just 16 yards on the ground and 16 more through the air, while totaling only 76 yards for the game. Salvador Fonseca was the Pirates’ leading ground gainer with 62 yards on 16 carries.

Shane Moore led the Eufaula ground assault with 102 yards on 12 carries, followed by Trey Moore’s 67 yards on five carries.

Although Eufaula dominated the first quarter of play, Sperry managed a stalemate the opening 12 minutes.

The Ironheads had one scoring threat in the first quarter, but it was turned back by the Pirates on a bad snap from center at the Pirates’ three yard line that rolled to the 20 yard line before Eufaula recovered the ball.

On the next play, Sperry’s Seth Juby intercepted Dillon Larkin’s pass at the goal line and returned it 61 yards to the Ironheads’ 39. However, Sperry was unable to cash-in on the miscue.

Eufaula broke the tie with 4:25 left in the half when Shane Moore scored on a 10-yard run. Jake Hunn converted the extra point for a 7-0 Ironhead lead. The touchdown capped a six-play 71-yard drive. Shane Moore’s 46-yard run highlighted the drive/.

Just two-minutes later, Eufaula added to its total when Siers intercepted a Jagger Park pass and returned it 40 yards for the score. Hunn’s extra point padded Eufuala’s lead to 14-0 with 2:27 remaining in the half

The Ironheads iced the game in the third quarter when Siers scored his second touchdown of the night. He returned a Sperry punt by Polo Patterson 55 yards down the the right sideline came with 2:44 left. Hunn’s point-after hit the right post and bounced away as the Ironheads led 20-0.

Following Siers second interception of the night, Moore scored from the two-yard line to cap a six-play 57-yard drive, giving the Ironheads a 27-0 lead after Nunn’s extra point.

Eufaula travels to Vian next Friday.