MuskogeePhoenix.com, Muskogee, OK

January 2, 2014

Debris fire spreads, claims mobile home

By Cathy Spaulding
Phoenix Staff Writer

— WARNER — A Warner-area man who had been burning debris lost his mobile home to the fire.

Warner Fire Chief Jeff Smith said the home of Jimmy Cauthon, two miles south and a half-mile east of Warner, was a total loss. Smith said the fire was called in about 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Smith said Cauthon had told the fire department he had been burning some debris outside his home.

“He said he was inside on the computer when the house caught fire,” Smith said, adding that Cauthon’s cell phone was destroyed in the fire.

He said one of Cauthon’s sons also was at the scene and went to a relative’s home to report the fire.

According to a 911 call log, the home was fully involved when the Warner Fire Department arrived. The Porum Fire Department also was called to help, according to the log.

Cauthon spent Wednesday night at a relative’s home, Smith said.

The fire burned most of the mobile home’s contents, leaving the structure in a twisted heap. Remains of wood steps and burned box springs were part of the wreckage.

Smith described the home as an “older model” mobile home.

“Those older model mobile homes burn very hot and very fast,” Smith said.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross were sent Thursday to meet with Cauthon, said Ryan Hardaway, the director of the Muskogee Red Cross.

“He had a place to stay last night,” Hardaway said Thursday afternoon. “We’re going to provide assistance today.”

Reach Cathy Spaulding at (918) 684-2928 or cspaulding@muskogeephoenix.com.