HASKELL — A proposed $2.71 million bond issue could help replace leaky high school and middle school roofs and give Haymaker football fans new bleachers.
Voters living in the Haskell Public School district will vote on the bond issue Feb. 14. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Haskell School Superintendent Dr. Landon Berry said the proposed series bond issue will not result in a tax rate increase.
Berry said the bond issue could help fund four projects:
• Replace deteriorating concrete bleachers with aluminum bleachers and build field house at A.B. Shockley Stadium.
• Install new sloping roofs at Haskell High School, middle school, annex and cafeteria.
• Build a new field house, dugout and fences at the softball field.
• Build a corridor between Mary White Elementary School and its cafeteria.
The football stadium’s current home side bleachers and dressing room were built as one concrete structure in 1984, Berry said. The bleachers are on top of the dressing room and are not accessible to handicapped people, he said.
Even though it is not old, the structure needs repair, Berry said, showing cracks in the bleachers.
“There are areas where puddles form on the bleachers,” he said.
School officials are proposing aluminum bleachers at ground level with the field house behind the bleachers, Berry said.
New sloping roofs at the high school and middle school could prevent leaking and further damage when it rains or snows, Berry said. The buildings currently have flat roofs.
“When it snows, we have leaks at the high school and we repair them and six months later, we have the problems again,” Berry said. Slopes help keep water from collecting on the roof, he said.
Haskell replaced roofs at the elementary school and gymnasium with money from the 2007 bond issue, Berry said.
The corridor between the elementary school and its cafeteria could help protect kids in bad weather, Berry said. Students now must walk under an aluminum covered walkway.
The bond issue also could help fund new facilities at the softball field, he said.
Reach Cathy Spaulding at (918) 684-2928 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your vote counts
WHAT: $2.71 million bond issue.
WHEN: Feb. 14.
• New home side bleachers and field house at A.B. Shockley Stadium.
• New softball field house, dugout and fencing.
• Sloping roofs at high school, middle school, annex and cafeteria.
• Corridor linking cafeteria to Mary White Elementary School.