From Phoenix Staff Reports
Four men serving life sentences in Oklahoma prisons after being convicted in Muskogee County are up for parole this month.
The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board will meet Aug. 12-16 at the Hillside Community Corrections Center, 3300 N. Martin Luther King Ave. in Oklahoma City.
John Henry “Blowpop” Oliver, 57, and David Johns, 53, were convicted of first-degree murder in separate cases; Donald W. Logsdon, 38, and John H. Tarepen Jr., 57, were convicted of first-degree rape in separate cases.
• Oliver was convicted in 1978 of the Sept. 5, 1977, execution-style slaying of Bob Bearfield during a robbery.
Bearfield managed the recently opened Dairy Queen at 30th Street and Okmulgee Avenue. He was shot twice in the head, and approximately $1,400 was taken from the store. Bearfield had just moved to Muskogee and had gotten married two weeks before the murder.
• Johns was convicted in May 1983 of the Dec. 7, 1981, murder of Thomas Crossland. Crossland died after Johns shot him three times outside Crossland’s home on Summit Street. The shooting was the result of a robbery attempt.
• Logsdon was given two consecutive life sentences for raping and brutally beating a 10-year-old girl before leaving her for dead on railroad tracks near North York Street on July 25, 1995.
• Tarepen was convicted in 1987 of the Sept. 1, 1986, rape of a 12-year-old girl in her Muskogee home.
Video conferencing is used to conduct personal appearance hearings before the Pardon and Parole Board. A victim or victim representative who wishes to appear at a parole board hearing can notify the Pardon and Parole Board.
Information: Pardon and Parole Board, First National Center, 120 N. Robinson Ave., Suite 900W, Oklahoma City OK 73102 or call (405) 602-5863.
• CARTER, Kevin L. Armed robbery. 25 years (five years previously served). Sentence began August 2007.
• CLEMONS, Emmanuel L. Possession of firearm after former felony conviction. Five years. Sentence began February 2012.
• CONARD, Charles K. Trafficking in illegal drugs. 10 years. Sentence began March 2007.
• ENGLAND, Dion N. Escape from a penal institution. 45 years. Sentence began March 1991.
• GOBER, Charles W. Second-degree burglary. Seven years. Sentence began June 2012.
• HAWKINS, Freddie C. Jr. Falsely personate another to avoid liability. 10 years (seven suspended). Sentence began September 2012.
• HOLLADAY, Stephen A. Jr., Second-degree burglary. 10 years. Sentence began May 2009.
• JOHNS, David H. First-degree murder. Life. Sentence began July 1983.
• LEWIS, Aaron N. Jr. Possession of a firearm after former felony conviction. 10 years. Sentence began February 2012.
• LOGSDON, Donald W. First-degree rape. Life. Sentence began January 1996.
• NAIL, Mark D. Driving under the influence (second and subsequent). 10 years (five suspended). Sentence began June 2012.
• OLIVER, John H. First-degree murder. Life. Sentence began June 1978.
• POTTER, Darrell L. Grand larceny. 10 years (five suspended). Sentence began April 2012.
• TAREPEN, John H. First-degree rape. Life. Sentence began April 1987.