, Muskogee, OK

February 15, 2013

Brannon inmate hunted after escape

By Rachel Petersen

— McALESTER — A Tahlequah man escaped early Thursday from Jackie Brannon Correctional Center in McAlester.

Kenneth M. Hammick II, 27, was last seen at the minimum-security correctional facility’s 6:30 a.m. count, said its security chief, Rick Caywood.

“He was discovered missing at our regularly scheduled 8:30 a.m. count,” Caywood said. “We did a special count to verify and it was confirmed at 9:26 a.m.”

Hammick was convicted in Cherokee County in September 2004 of first-degree burglary, larceny from the house and three counts of obtaining money by false pretenses. He was sentenced to nine months in prison followed by 15 months probation.

In March 2011, Hammick was convicted of possession of a controlled substance and sentenced to four years incarceration.

Hammick is considered armed and dangerous, Caywood said.

“When offenders escape, they are automatically considered armed and dangerous,” he said.

Brannon officials and search dog teams are working with local law enforcement agencies to find Hammick, Caywood said.

Hammick is a white man with brown hair and hazel eyes. He is 5 feet, 11 inches tall and weighs 154 pounds. He has multiple tattoos, with the words “RIP” and “Bad Boys” on his neck, three dots on his left middle finger, “Linda” on both of his arms and “K2” and a dragon, also on his left arm.

The Oklahoma Department of Corrections website shows that Hammick was set for release Aug. 5, 2014. He has been in DOC custody since Aug. 2, 2011.

Rachel Petersen writes for the McAlester News-Capital.

You can help

Kenneth M. Hammick II, 27, is a white male with brown hair and hazel eyes. He is 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs 154 pounds. He has multiple tattoos, including the words “RIP” and “Bad Boys” on his neck. He also has three dots tattooed on his left  middle finger. Hammick has “Linda” tattooed on both his left and right arms, and his left arm also bears tattoos of “K2” and a dragon.

If you know the whereabouts of Hammick, call your local law enforcement agency or call 911.