MuskogeePhoenix.com, Muskogee, OK

April 11, 2013

Manhunt on for child rape suspect

He's wanted in Wagoner County

By Dylan Goforth
Phoenix Staff Writer

— The Wagoner County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help to find a man who officials believe raped an 8-year-old girl.

An arrest warrant was issued for Melvin Gonzalez-Lopez, 25, last week after the girl underwent a sexual assault examination.

Gonzalez-Lopez, who also goes by the names Carlos Miranda, and Mario Depaz, is charged with two felonies:

• First-degree rape (victim under age 14.)

• Lewd molestation.

A Wagoner County Sheriff’s Office affidavit filed in the case states that investigators believe Gonzalez-Lopez raped the girl multiple times between April 2012 and March 2013.

Sheriff’s Maj. Gary Handley said authorities believe that Gonzalez-Lopez, who is in the country illegally, could be in Tulsa or Oklahoma City.

“We’ve also heard he could be headed to Texas or Alabama,” he said. “We believe he’s in Tulsa, but we’ve received a lot of different information. I do know that he doesn’t have a bunch of money to do a bunch with.”

According to the affidavit, Gonzalez-Lopez left after the girl’s mother confronted him after she learned from the girl what had happened.

Gonzalez-Lopez first denied the accusations, then relented and said that he had taken the girl into a bedroom and undressed her, the affidavit says.  

Gonzalez-Lopez is described as being 5 feet, 3 inches tall and weighing 145 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes.

He was last seen driving a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am with the Oklahoma tag 130EVD.

Reach Dylan Goforth at (918) 684-2903 or dgoforth@muskogeephoenix.com.

You can help



If you know the whereabouts of Melvin Gonzalez-Lopez, call the Wagoner County Sheriff’s Office at (918) 485-3124 or the office’s tipline at (918) 485-7799.