MuskogeePhoenix.com, Muskogee, OK

Local News

May 11, 2013

Bomb scare suspect still in VA hospital

— The man suspected of leaving a rucksack full of ammunition, explosives and a handgun remained hospitalized Friday at the Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center.

Tahlequah Police Department Chief Nate King said the man, whose name has not been released, would have to be cleared by hospital staff before being arrested. King declined to give a condition report on the man.

Cherokee County District Attorney Brian Kuester said authorities would determine later whether to file state or federal charges in the case.

King said the current question is whether any of the items recovered or possessed were illegal.

“One thing to consider is there was no intent to harm anyone,” he said. “There weren’t any threats, and it wasn’t a terroristic act. (The items) just happened to be in his bag. Nothing in the investigation so far shows any intent on his part.”

 

1
Text Only
Local News
AP Video
Obama Hopeful on Ukraine, Will Watch Russians Flamingo Frenzy Ahead of Zoo Construction Crew Criticized Over Handling of Ferry Disaster Agreement Reached to Calm Ukraine Tensions Raw: Pope Francis Performs Pre-easter Ritual Raw: Bulgarian Monastery Dyes 5000 Easter Eggs Diplomats Reach Deal to Ease Tensions in Ukraine U.S. Sending Nonlethal Aid to Ukraine Military Holder: Americans Stand With KC Mourners Obama Greets Wounded Warriors Malaysia Plane: Ocean Floor Images 'Very Clear' Sparks Fly With Derulo and Jordin on New Album Franco Leads Star-studded Broadway Cast Raw: Two Lucky Kids Get Ride in Popemobile Boston Bombing Survivors One Year Later Sister of Slain MIT Officer Reflects on Bombing
Poll

Should a federal judge have the power to strike down Oklahoma's ban on gay marriage?

Yes
No
     View Results
Featured Ads
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Stocks