MuskogeePhoenix.com, Muskogee, OK

May 11, 2013

Bomb scare suspect still in VA hospital


— The man suspected of leaving a rucksack full of ammunition, explosives and a handgun remained hospitalized Friday at the Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center.

Tahlequah Police Department Chief Nate King said the man, whose name has not been released, would have to be cleared by hospital staff before being arrested. King declined to give a condition report on the man.

Cherokee County District Attorney Brian Kuester said authorities would determine later whether to file state or federal charges in the case.

King said the current question is whether any of the items recovered or possessed were illegal.

“One thing to consider is there was no intent to harm anyone,” he said. “There weren’t any threats, and it wasn’t a terroristic act. (The items) just happened to be in his bag. Nothing in the investigation so far shows any intent on his part.”