, Muskogee, OK

February 25, 2013

Early application urged for absentee ballots in school bond elections

— Voters in Muskogee County who want to have absentee ballots mailed to them for the Hilldale, Fort Gibson and Midway school districts’ special bond elections March 5 should apply now, County Election Board Secretary Kelly Beach said. Although the election board can accept applications for absentee ballots until 5 p.m. Feb. 27, Beach urged voters who want to vote by absentee ballot to apply early.  

Absentee ballot application forms are available at the Election Board’s office, at 400 W. Broadway St., Room 120 of the Muskogee County Services Building in Muskogee. Absentee ballot application forms also can be downloaded and printed from the Internet at

At least two mail transactions must be made. The election board must mail the ballots to the voter and the voter must return the voted ballots by mail. Ballots must be in the hands of the County Election Board by 7 p.m. on election day in order to be counted.

Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot in any election in which he or she is eligible to vote.  However, a voter must be registered and a resident of an address within the boundaries of the school district or municipality that is having the election. It is not necessary to give a reason or excuse for voting absentee.