A popular television show about two men traveling the country digging through one man’s junk and another’s treasure is coming to Muskogee.
A casting producer from the History Channel show “American Pickers,” featuring Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz, will be in town in early June scouting locations for Wolfe and Fritz to pick through.
Anthony Rodriguez, casting associate producer for the show, said he’ll visit leads that week, then take ideas back to his office in New York.
Those who are chosen for the show will then be contacted by his office. Rodriguez wants to hear from Oklahomans across the state and around Muskogee who think they have what the show is looking for, he said.
“We are looking for interesting characters that are larger than life,” he said. “We are also looking for people with private collections — anything from barns to a warehouse to someone’s home for that matter. We don’t do antique malls or flea markets.”
Rodriguez said the show is not looking for farming/agricultural items, tools, glassware, appliances, tractors, crocks, stoves or country primitives
Instead, they are looking for unique items, such as Civil War antiques, vintage casino gaming machines, vintage motorcycles and scooters, old advertising signs, and antique rodeo gear.
“American Pickers” is a documentary series which explores the “fascinating world of antique ‘picking,’” according to a media release.
The show follows Wolfe and Fritz across the country as they search for treasures that have been long forgotten in junkyards and barns.
The team meets “fascinating” characters along the way, each with a story to tell about the history of their collection and their lives.
“Mike and Frank bring the past to life and recycle America as they go,” the release says.
“American Pickers” airs at 8 p.m. Mondays on the History Channel — 269 on DirecTV, 61 on Suddenlink and 120 on Dish Network.
Reach Wendy Burton at (918) 684-2926 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to do
WHAT: History Channel’s “American Pickers” is scouting locations for the show.
WHEN: Before June 1.
HOW: Email your name, number, town, state and a list of items along with pictures you think the show will be interested in to AmericanPickers@Cineflix.com or call and leave a message at (646) 493-2184.
• Motor scooters — Vespas, Lambretta and Cushman, motorcycles, bicycles — pre-1960s to turn of the century, and classic motorcycle memorabilia.
• Old advertising signage, vintage movie memorabilia, concert posters, T-shirts, pre-1960s diner collectibles, pre-1960s TV merchandise, pre-1950s western gear and vintage advertising items.
• Unusual radios — transistor or tabletop, old toys — tin, wind-up and cast-iron, pre-1950s vending machines, pinball and slot machines.
• Antique casino/gaming machines, casino tables.
• Old rodeo items, taxidermy, late 1970s and earlier military items, civil war antiques, vintage gas pumps, vintage collegiate collectibles, vintage BB guns or cap guns, pre-1940s Christmas items, pre-1970s neon signs.
• Airline collectibles, vintage police officer collectibles, firefighter collectibles, pre-1940s telephones, Hawaiiana/Tiki collectibles, musical instruments.
• Folk art, strange woodcarvings, vintage sports collectibles, vintage election memorabilia, early Halloween items, extraordinary mobster memorabilia.
(The show is currently not looking for farming/agricultural items, tools, glassware, appliances, tractors, crocks, stoves or country primitives.)