MuskogeePhoenix.com, Muskogee, OK

October 5, 2013

Clowns to teach kids about fire safety

Shows Tuesday through Thursday next week

By Thad Ayers
Phoenix Staff Writer

— Clowns will entertain and educate children on fire safety next week at the Muskogee Civic Center.

Firefighters with the Muskogee Fire Department will dress as clowns and perform skits to teach children fire protection lessons Tuesday through Thursday at the Civic Center, 425 Boston St.

“It’s all fire prevention, awareness and safety,” said Joe Croftcheck of MFD. “We try to teach the kids something.”

Croftcheck and about nine other firefighters were perform shows at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. each day. Each show is free and open to the public and lasts about 35 minutes each, he said.

This is part of National Fire Prevention Week, Croftcheck said.

Area schools are expected to pack into the center for the firefighters’ performances. Children of all ages and adults are also welcome, though Croftcheck said the shows are meant for kids.

“We’re hoping folks in town will bring their little kids,” he said.

Topics covered will be kitchen and fire safety, smoke alarms, emergency evacuation procedures. Croftcheck said an emphasis will be placed on matches and lighters and how children should not play with matches.

Those interested in attending can call the fire department at (918) 684-6252 to reserve space.

Reach Thad Ayers at (918) 684-2903 or tayers@muskogeephoenix.com.

If you go



WHAT: Muskogee Fire Clowns.

WHERE: Muskogee Civic Center, 425 Boston St.

WHEN: Shows at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. Tuesday-Thursday.

COST: Free and open to all ages.

ETC.: Call (918) 684-6252 to reserve a seat for a show.

Fire safety



Fall/winter fire safety tips:

• Have your furnace and fireplace inspected and serviced by a licensed professional every year.

• Keep space heaters on a hard, non-flammable, level surface about three feet from anything.

• Never leave a space heater unattended.

• Install or inspect all smoke and/or carbon monoxide alarms in your home.

• Replace alarm batteries at least once a year.

Source: Eastern Oklahoma American Red Cross.