Those interested in running for their local school boards will soon be able to file for a spot in the Feb. 12 election.
From 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 3-5, each county election board will accept filings to run for seats at every school district.
Seats available in Muskogee County are for Office 3, a five-year term, at all school districts.
Fort Gibson will also hold an election for Office 5, a four-year, unexpired term, and Porum will also seek a candidate for Office 5, a two-year, unexpired term.
With the exception of Wagoner Public Schools’ Office 3, it is yet unknown if any or all of the incumbent school board members will file to run again.
Wagoner’s Office 3 was vacated recently when Ben McFarland, who had served 4 1/2 years of his term, moved to Broken Arrow.
At Tuesday’s school board meeting, Cory Brown was appointed by the board to fill in until the election, said Superintendent Monty Thompson.
“So right now, there won’t be an incumbent. It will be wide open for anybody that wants it,” he said.
According to the Oklahoma State School Boards Association, which provides mandated training for school board members, there are certain requirements that must be met to run for a school board seat:
• A candidate must have resided in the district for at least six months preceding Dec. 3 and been a registered voter, registered with the county election board at an address located within the geographical boundaries of the district for six months preceding Dec. 3.
• A candidate must have earned at least a high school diploma or GED.
• A candidate can not have been convicted of either a misdemeanor involving embezzlement or a felony for a period of 15 years following the completion of his or her sentence.
• A candidate cannot run if he or she is an incumbent who has failed to earn his or her continuing education credits for the current term of office.
• A candidate cannot run if he or she is employed by the district.
To read more about requirements for candidacy, visit www.ossba.org/school-board-candidacy.
Reach Wendy Burton at (918) 684-2926 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
School board seats
School board seats up for election Feb. 12:
• Muskogee, Hilldale, Warner, Porum, Oktaha, Wainwright, Braggs, Webbers Falls and Haskell Public Schools — Office 3, five-year term.
• Fort Gibson — Office 3, five-year term and Office 5, four-year unexpired term.
• Porum — Office 3, five-year term and Office 5, two-year unexpired term.
• Indian Capital Technology Center — Office 5, five-year term.
• Tenkiller and Norwood — Seat 1, five-year term.
• Woodall, Tahlequah and Keys — Seat 3, five-year term.
• Grandview — Seat 2, five-year term.
• Hulbert — Seat 3 and Seat 1, five-year terms.
• Wagoner and Porter — Office 3, five-year term.
• Okay — Office 2, four-year unexpired term and Office 3, five-year term.
• Checotah, Eufaula and Midway — Office 5, five-year term.
The filing period for a school board seat is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 3-5 at each county election board.
The election will be held Feb. 12, and in the event of a runoff, the runoff election will be held in April.