Muskogee County created at statehood, named for Muscogee, or Creek Indians.
Aligan: In Muskogee County, five miles east of Keefeton. A post office from Feb. 18, 1902, to May 14, 1904.
Bacone: In Muskogee County, immediately northeast of Muskogee. Post office established March 7, 1888. Named for Almon C. Bacone, Baptist missionary.
Bayou Manard: A branch of the Arkansas River, three miles south of Fort Gibson. Site of Civil War battle on July 27, 1862, fought six miles south of Fort Gibson. Named for Pierre Menard, missionary.
Beland: Formerly Chase. Eight miles southwest of Muskogee. Post office name changed to Beland, June 19, 1908, and discontinued Oct. 30, 1926.
Bennett: Four miles southwest of Warner. Post office June 4, 1895, to July 30, 1904. Named for Leo E. Bennett, editor of the “Muskogee Phoenix.”
Boynton: Post office established Sept. 10, 1902. Named for E.W. Boynton, chief engineer of the Missouri Coal and Railway Co., Shawnee.
Braggs: Formerly Patrick, 12 miles southeast of Muskogee. Post office name changed to Braggs Sept. 10, 1888. Named for Solomon Braggs, local landowner.
Briartown: Seven miles northwest of Stigler. The railroad name for the town was McMurray. Post office established May 15, 1882.
Byllesby: Three miles east of Muskogee. It was named for H.M. Byllesby of Chicago, who assisted in the financing of the nearby OG&E; generating plant.
Camp Gruber: Military encampment dedicated July 19, 1942. Named for Brigadier Gen. E.L. Gruber, who died May 30, 1941.
Cantonment Gibson: Original name four the post office at Fort Gibson, which was established Feb. 27, 1827. Its name was changed to Fort Gibson Sept. 14, 1842.
Chase: Eight miles southwest of Muskogee. Post office established April 9, 1903. Name changed to Beland June 19, 1908.
Council Hill: Post office established July 3, 1905. Took its named from a well-known land feature, five miles west, Council Hill, used by the Creek Indians for ceremonial purposes.
Creek Agency: Northwest of Muskogee. A post office from June 7, 1843, to Oct. 16, 1872, serving the Creek Indian Agency. On Jan. 21, 1852, the post office was moved to the south side of the Arkansas River, about five miles southwest of the previous location.
- OK Centennial
- Alice Robertson and President Roosevelt enjoyed a long friendship
- What ever happened to Miss Indian Territory?
- Tahlequah to celebrate 100 years of Oklahoma homes
- Prep footballs' Centennial Moments - Pt. 6
- Prep football's Centennial Moments - Pt. 5
- Prep football's Centennial Moments - Pt. 3
- Prep football's Centennial Moments - Pt. 4
- Federal court brought Indian Territory one step closer to statehood
- Prep football's Centennial Moments - Pt. 1
- Prep football's Centennial Moments - Pt. 2
- More OK Centennial Headlines