Many school districts begin the new year this week.
Muskogee returns to classes Thursday, and Fort Gibson begins school Friday.
School is the unofficial end of summer.
Here are a few reminders for returning students of all ages:
• Education is important to your future. You may not see it now, but you need a quality education to achieve your goals.
• You must actively participate. Students who pay attention and do the work will have the most success.
• Be kind to one another. Every person you meet in school is a person. They deserve to be treated with the same kindness and respect as everyone else.
Here are a few reminders for the parents and guardians of returning students:
• Children will put an effort into things that parents show are important. Parents should help children with their homework.
• Take an active interest. Parents should pay attention to their children’s education. Read to your younger children, too.
Here’s a reminder to the rest of us:
• Be careful. Traffic patterns will change. More cars will be on the roads at the start and end of school days. Obey traffic laws, especially around school buses. There will be some children walking to school.
A good education is the great equalizer.
Students need a strong foundation today to succeed tomorrow.
Here’s hoping everyone has a safe and productive year.