Area high school seniors walked across various stages last night, ready to begin new phases in their lives.
Don’t forget those dedicated educators who spent their careers to ensure so many students could embark on a prosperous future.
Last night was a beginning for so many. It also marked the close of a career for area educators.
Nineteen educators from Muskogee, Fort Gibson and Hilldale school districts will retire this year.
That number does not include many others from throughout Green Country.
These educators represent what’s right with our community.
State officials and legislators have mandated quite a few ideas to improve the quality of education for our students.
But, in the end, no program is worth more than the individual educator applying it.
Without dedicated and determined educators the best idea in the world will not succeed.
So, while graduates around the area begin the next chapter of their lives, it is time to remember all those that helped make it happen.
• Debra Horsechief — Principal Early Childhood Center, 35 years, 33 in Muskogee.
• Janna Hitt — Creek first grade, 39 years.
• Marsha Danner— Creek librarian, 17 years, including 11 in Muskogee.
• Karen Freeman — Creek fourth grade, 34 years.
• Mary Holder — Tony Goetz teacher trainer, Tony Goetz, 17 years.
• Bruce Ragsdale — Muskogee Vo-Ag Teacher, 30 years, 17 at Muskogee.
• Linda Smith — Muskogee High School special education, 13 years.
• Sandra Stevens — Muskogee High School special education, 22 years, 17 at Muskogee.
• Susan Hoog — Irving fifth grade, 34 years.
• Sheila Trussel — Tony Goetz fifth grade, 29 years.
• Phyllis Kindle, Early Learning Center Principal, 25 years with Fort Gibson.
• Brenda Helms, intermediate elementary librarian, 15 years at Fort Gibson
• Bob Dewoody, high school math teacher, 19 years at Fort Gibson.
• Shirley Flaska, intermediate and middle school vocal music teacher, five years at Fort Gibson.
• Anita Conner, high school family and consumer science, 22 years, 20 at Hilldale.
• Veda West, elementary teacher, 30 years, all at Hilldale.
• Ron Foster, middle school math, 36 years, four at Hilldale.