, Muskogee, OK


April 6, 2013

Wagoner sweeps Hornets

The Wagoner Bulldogs boys soccer team could have settled for a tie with Hilldale after the Hornets scored two goals in the last 11 minutes to erase a two-goal deficit.

Jackson Flinn would hear nothing of the kind.

He pushed a shot past Hilldale goalkeeper Michael Breckon with 41 seconds remaining in overtime to give the Bulldogs a 3-2 win in District 4A-8 action at Hornet Field on Friday, spoiling Hilldale’s Senior Night.

“I told the guys they could have easily laid down and taken the tie,” said Wagoner coach Brandon Carr. “I also told them ‘you’re up 2-0, you let them come back and tie, don’t let them win 3-2.’ And they played the overtime like they started the second half.”

After a scoreless first half, the Bulldogs (5-5, 1-0 4A-8) got on the first when Flinn snared a rebound off a Decarius Clark shot in the 48th minute for the first goal of the match. Wagoner made the score 2-0 when Clark grabbed a pass from Chris Oriolo and drilled a shot past Breckon in the 58th minute.

“They were playing the offside trap all night long,” Flinn said. “He told us just to adjust to it and see what we could do. So we started playing a little bit further back than we were so we could get behind them and not be offsides.”

In the 68th minute, Clark looked like he was going to make the score 3-0, but Breckon blocked his initial attempt and two rebounds to keep Clark off the scoreboard.

That seemed to energize the Hornets (2-7, 0-2) because one minute later, Chris Ramey cut the deficit to 2-1 by taking a loose ball and driving it into the right corner of the net. Less than six minutes later, Hunter Woods tied the score with a shot into the left-hand corner off a pass from Ramey.

“The guys did a great job of fighting back in the second half,” said Hilldale coach Brent Breckon, Michael’s father. “I told the team they were going to come out in the second half with a little more fire. We won 80-90 percent of the balls but just couldn’t convert.”

In the overtime period, each team had a chance to end the game. Hilldale’s Tristan Taylor missed on a header three minutes into the OT while Flinn went wide right on a wide-open blast.

“Coach told us to keep our heads up and make good runs,” Flinn said. “We started relaxing a little bit, we thought we had it over up 2-0. But we relaxed a little bit too early.”

Text Only