Kickoff: 7 p.m.
Radio: KCXR 100.3 FM
Records: Muskogee 0-5, 0-2 6A-2; Edison 4-1, 1-1.
Last week: Westmoore 48, Muskogee 7; Edison 17, Putnam City 10.
Last meeting: Muskogee 33, Edison 7 (2012).
About the matchup: If the Roughers are going to climb off the canvas for a shot at a playoff, it has to start and continue from here. There’s a sense of confidence because this was Muskogee’s lone win last year, but it’s a different team led by firecracker quarterback Akylen Mayfield, who did not play a year ago. He has 760 yards rushing. He had 183 on 11 carries while going 8-of-14 passing for 139 yards in the win against Putnam City, the Eagles’ first-ever in 6A. Muskogee had 20 penalties against Westmoore last week. That can’t happen, and the offense will need to negotiate Edison’s blitzing linebackers, loaded box and man coverage. Muskogee will also be without tight end-strong safety Tramal Ivy (academic reasons) but appear ready to get running back Tyriq Beasley back after a week off nursing turf toe. Also back is Sammy Richardson, who will play some at running back and also in the secondary. Edison is coached by D.J. Howell, who was at FGHS for two seasons before former MHS assistant James Singleton took over.
Series record: Muskogee leads, 13-4.
Notes: Series was non-stop between 1962 and 1977...Muskogee has never started 0-5...Edison’s last win came in 1974 (7-3).
Kickoff: 7 p.m.
- Area teams doing best to cope with weather
- OU, OSU combine for dozen spots on AP Big 12 team
- Area sports briefs
- OSSAA prep rankings and today's schedule
- OU slant: Sooners knock Cowboys out of Fiesta plans; launch selves into BCS contention
- OSU slant: Cowboys' fade turns BCS hopes to black
- COLUMN: Bell a hero again in an unlikely finish
- Roland runs hard, but it isn’t enough
- Sports calendar
- No. 10 Michigan St. shocks No. 2 Ohio St. 34-24
- More Sports Headlines