TAHLEQUAH – The No. 37-ranked Northeastern State women’s tennis team defeated No. 39 Central Oklahoma 5-0 in the 2013 NCAA Division II Women’s Tennis Central Regional Saturday afternoon at the NSU Tennis Complex.
The RiverHawks (23-3) will now venture to Surprise, Ariz., for the NCAA Championship May 8-11 at the Surprise Tennis and Racquet Complex. NSU will meet No. 4 BYU-Hawaii in the NCAA Round of 16.
Northeastern State completed the season sweep over UCO by taking all three doubles courts and earning the first two singles decisions. The Bronchos finished their season at 17-4, with three of their losses coming at the hands of the RiverHawks.
“I was really proud with how we played today, and it’s always good to beat an in-state rival,” NSU coach Amanda Stone said. “We refocused this week after our loss to Southwest Baptist and were able to put things in perspective.”
Junior Martina Bruzikova and sophomore Barbora Jirickova were the first off court in doubles play, as they began with an 8-2 win at the third position over Petra Pesic and Kristin Richardson.
No. 19-ranked senior Ivana Belejova and Kristina Savchenkov made quick work of Antonella Rossini and Alina Gorina, 8-1, on the top doubles court.
The junior team of Houda Bellamine and Jeanne Mallem closed doubles play with an 8-4 win over Rose Cabato and Laura Klingert at the second position.
Mallem quickly pushed the score to 4-0 in favor of the home team with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Cabato on the fourth singles court.
Bruzikova clinched the team match and sent NSU to Arizona with a 6-1, 6-4 triumph over Gorina from the third position.
“This is better than anything I could have expected or hoped for coming in as a first-year head coach in January,” Stone said. “To have come this far since the beginning of the year is a huge accomplishment, and I’m very proud of the girls.”
The other four singles matches went unfinished.
Saturday at Tahlequah
(NSU Tennis Complex)
#37 Northeastern State 5, #39 Central Oklahoma 0
1. Ivana Belejova (NSU) vs. Antonella Rossini (UCO) 4-6, 3-4, unfinished
2. Kristina Savchenkov (NSU) vs. Petra Pesic (UCO) 3-6, 6-3, unfinished
3. Martina Bruzikova (NSU) def. Alina Gorina (UCO) 6-1, 6-4
4. Jeanne Mallem (NSU) def. Rose Cabato (UCO) 6-2, 6-0
5. Houda Bellamine (NSU) vs. Laura Klingert (UCO) 6-4, 2-5, unfinished
6. Barbora Jirickova (NSU) vs. Kristin Richardson (UCO) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
1. #19 Ivana Belejova/Kristina Savchenkov (NSU) def. Antonella Rossini/Alina Gorina (UCO) 8-1
2. Houda Bellamine/Jeanne Mallem (NSU) def. Rose Cabato/Laura Klingert (UCO) 8-4
3. Martina Bruzikova/Barbora Jirickova (NSU) def. Petra Pesic/Kristin Richardson (UCO) 8-2
Central Oklahoma 17-4; National Ranking #39
Northeastern State 23-3; National Ranking #37
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,3)