, Muskogee, OK

Oklahoma News

June 12, 2013

Oklahoma crash places helicopters under new scrutiny

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A commission that evaluates medical transport services is placing its accreditation of a Kansas-based company under new scrutiny following the third deadly crash of one of its medical helicopters in Oklahoma since 2010, the commission's executive director said Wednesday.

The latest crash of an EagleMed LLC helicopter occurred Tuesday night near the Choctaw Nation Health Care Center in Talihina in southeastern Oklahoma. Janet Sharp, spokeswoman for the health care center, said a patient who was being transported to a medical facility in Tulsa died, but it was uncertain whether the death was due to the crash or a previous medical condition.

Sharp said the helicopter's flight nurse was transported to a Tulsa hospital following the crash and was listed in stable condition. The pilot and a medic suffered minor injuries and have been released, she said. She did not identify any of the helicopter's occupants.

Eileen Frazer, executive director of the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems, said EagleMed's accreditation by the agency will be reviewed following the crash, meaning that further action could be taken against the company pending the results of an investigation.

"We will look for trends, especially in this unusual circumstance," Frazer said.

Tuesday's crash occurred less than four months after an EagleMed helicopter crash-landed outside an Oklahoma City nursing home early Feb. 22, killing two people onboard and critically injuring a third. Another EagleMed helicopter crashed into a field near Kingfisher on July 22, 2010, killing the pilot and nurse and seriously injuring a paramedic. No patients were on board.

Frazer said the company, based in Wichita, Kan., had just received its three-year accreditation when the February crash occurred. The accreditation process included an analysis of maintenance records of all its aircraft and crew, including pilots.

The latest crash will require members of the independent, nonprofit group to make a supplemental visit to the company to gather more information.

"We will have to go out there again," Frazer said.

Frazer said no decision will be made on the future of EagleMed's accreditation and operations until the organization has a chance to review the final reports of investigations by the National Transportation Safety Board and other agencies.

"We don't jump to conclusions. We would have to look at NTSB reports before we see any trending," she said.

EagleMed is cooperating with the investigation, said spokesman Robbie Copeland.

"Currently, EagleMed is working with the NTSB and FAA, we're helping them with their investigation by providing the information they need from us," Copeland said.

The helicopter involved in Tuesday's crash came down about 20 yards from the health care center as it was taking off about 7 p.m., Sharp said.

Investigators from the Federal Aviation Administration were at the scene Tuesday, spokesman Tony Molinaro said. Molinaro said the cause of the crash was not immediately known.

"We'll be gathering all types of information on the accident," he said. Information collected by FAA investigators will be turned over to the NTSB, he said.

An NTSB spokesman, Keith Holloway, said investigators will focus on the cause of Tuesday's accident and try to determine if there are common elements with the previous crashes.

"It takes a while before we determine the cause of an accident," Holloway said. "We don't look at the company, we look at issues. If there is something that reveals itself, we'll look at it."

An NTSB report released in May said the pilot of the EagleMed helicopter that crashed in 2010 was pretending to hunt coyotes when his aircraft struck a tree and plummeted to the ground.

The report also said the pilot was being treated for several medical conditions and had been prescribed multiple medications since at least 2007, when he told his personal physician he had bronchitis, hypertension and sleep apnea. It says the pilot was never treated for his sleep apnea and had not reported any of his medical conditions and prescription medications to the FAA.

The report did not pinpoint the specific cause of the crash.

Copeland said he did not know how long the pilot involved in Tuesday's crash had been flying for EagleMed.

"If there is something we can do differently, we certainly will as soon as we have knowledge of the cause," Copeland said. "All I can tell you is the NTSB report is out for the accident in July 2010, as far as the other two, we won't know until the final reports are out from the NTSB."

FAA records indicate the helicopter was manufactured by American Eurocopter Corp. of Grand Prairie, Texas, and received its operational certificate Aug. 31.


Text Only
Oklahoma News
AP Video
Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways

Should a federal judge have the power to strike down Oklahoma's ban on gay marriage?

     View Results
Featured Ads

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.