, Muskogee, OK

January 18, 2013

Twin victims' mother says one had feared for safety before Tulsa killings

Associated Press

— TULSA (AP) — One of the four women found shot to death in a crime-infested neighborhood had told her mother days earlier that she feared for her life because her twin sister was spending time with the wrong people.

Things had become so bad that Kayetie Melchor, 23, had rented a new apartment and was scheduled to sign the lease Jan. 7 — the day she, her twin sister, Rebeika Powell, and the other two women were found dead, her mother, Charon Powell, said.

"Kayetie — she was scared. She said, 'I'm scared for Rebeika, she's been hanging around these different people and doing this different stuff,'" the mother recalled, sobbing during an interview this week.

The twins, along with Misty Nunley, 33, and Julie Jackson, 55, were found dead at the Fairmont Terrace apartment complex. A preliminary medical examiner's report indicated all four died of gunshot wounds to the head.

No arrests have been made, but police believe a man being held on unrelated charges "at a minimum" witnessed the killings, according to court documents. Investigators have otherwise released few details, including how the women knew each other or why they may have been targeted.

Melchor hoped to get her sister out of the apartment complex. Just a few days before the killings, she ominously told her mother: " 'I love Rebeika so much. If Rebeika would die, I want to die too because I can't live without her,' " Charon Powell recalled. "And those were her exact words. It's crazy."

Police declined to release any details about the investigation Friday.

"Officers are still compiling the evidence looking for things they might have missed," Officer Leland Ashley said. "We're still receiving tips. This investigation is ongoing; it's not to the point where you would say it's going cold at all."

Nunley's mother, Cheryl, is frustrated by the lack of information. She has anxiously waited by the phone for any news that police had a break in the case — but she's had to settle for second- and third-hand information and rumors.

She worries that the tips are drying up.

"I am so upset," Cheryl Nunley said between sobs Thursday. "I will not let her be forgotten. They took my child's life and somebody's going to pay."

Charon Powell said she had gone through personal items of her daughters in hopes of finding a name or phone number that could yield a break in the case. She said she is taking it on faith that the killer or killers will be caught soon.

"I'm a great believer in Jesus Christ, and I believe his wrath will be on the people who did this. I know this with all my heart," she said.