Christians recall Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection with dramatic spectacles, concerts and simple services this week.
Holy Week begins with Palm Sunday, commemorating Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem. Maundy Thursday recalls Jesus' last supper with his disciples, when he announced someone would betray him. Good Friday recalls Jesus' crucifixion. Easter Sunday marks Jesus rising from the dead.
Boulevard Christian Church brings its Easter seasonal production "My Deliverer" to a broader audience this week. After five years at the church, "My Deliverer" will be presented at Broken Arrow Performing Arts Center, 7 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Easter Sunday, plus 3 p.m. Saturday.
Producer Jay Huffer said he talked with a New York City producer about bringing the production to a broader audience.
"He was very optimistic, thought we had something people would want to see," Huffer said. "He told us to put it in a non-church venue and make it a ticketed event. He said if we were good about filling the seats, some producers might think 'this is something we could put money behind and put somewhere else.'"
Huffer said he hopes Broken Arrow could be the first step toward Broadway.
"There has not been a really good faith-based Broadway-style musical since 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,' which is over 30 years old," he said. "The Broadway market is a very secular market, but Broadway does $30 million a week gross revenue, so people want to see live entertainment. When it's done well, people will go to it."
He recalled that 2,500 people saw Boulevard's first "My Deliverer" performance five years ago, and hundreds have come each year.
Huffer said he and his wife, Lisa Huffer, wrote the production. Lisa Huffer also is the director.
"We show Creation, the fall of man and man's search for a deliverer," Jay Huffer said. "It runs through the Old Testament. It shows the life of Christ and some of the people he touched on the way."
He said the story focuses on people that Jesus encountered.
"Most people, when they do the crucifixion, they have three crosses facing out and all you see is a bunch of people with their backs turned," he said. "We turn Jesus so you see his back, then you see the faces of the people he touched in his life."
The production will use a lot of Broken Arrow and Tulsa talent, as well as some from Muskogee, Fort Gibson and Checotah, Huffer said.
Costumes and sets have been upgraded for the Broken Arrow production.
Other area Easter productions include "Jesus Savior King," presented Saturday and Easter Sunday at Timothy Baptist Church.
Timothy Baptist worship and media director Allison Jones said this is the third year the church has performed the musical. The play depicts the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.
The production has a 50-member cast with singing and acting parts.
Fifth Sunday Fellowship will host Risen 2019, 6 p.m. Saturday at Muskogee High School fine arts building. Doors open at 5 p.m. The concert will feature Sterlin Mooney and Covered, Montrae Tisdale and the Friends Chorale and others.
If you go
WHAT: "My Deliverer."
WHEN: 7 p.m. Friday, Saturday, Easter Sunday; 3 p.m. Saturday.
WHERE: Broken Arrow Performing Arts Center, 701 S. Main St., Broken Arrow.
ADMISSION: $37:50. Discounted tickets available at MyDeliverer.net, with code "get20."
WHAT: "Risen 2019."
WHEN: 6 p.m. Saturday, doors open at 5 p.m.
WHERE: Muskogee High School fine arts building, 3200 E. Shawnee Bypass.
WHAT: Jesus Savior King.
WHEN: 6 p.m. Saturday and Easter Sunday.
WHERE: Timothy Baptist Church, 5530 W. Okmulgee Ave.
WHAT: "The Choice."
WHEN: 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Easter Sunday.
WHERE: Muskogee First Assembly of God, 3100 Gulick St.
Holy Week Services
• Saint Joseph Catholic Church, 321 N. Virginia St., Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord's Supper, 7 p.m.; Good Friday Via Crucis, 2 p.m., Stations of the Cross, 5:30 p.m. Service, 7 p.m; Holy Saturday Mass, 8:30 p.m.
• Grace Episcopal, 218 N. Sixth St., Tenebrae, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday; Maundy Thursday, 6 p.m.; Good Friday, 6 p.m.
• First Presbyterian Church of Fort Gibson, 220 N. Lee St., Maundy Thursday service and chancel drama "The Other 12 Disciples," monologues from 12 women in Jesus Life, 7 p.m.
• First United Methodist Muskogee, 600 E. Okmulgee Ave., Maundy Thursday service, 7 p.m.
• Saint Paul United Methodist, 2130 W. Okmulgee Ave., Maundy Thursday Communion, 6 p.m.
• Fort Gibson United Methodist Church, 302 Beauregard St., Holy Thursday service, 6 p.m.; Easter Sunday sunrise service, 6:30 a.m. Fort Gibson Dam Overlook.
• Checotah First United Methodist, 417 W. Gentry Ave., Checotah, Maunday Thursday, 6 p.m.; Good Friday community-wide service, 12:10 p.m.
• At the Cross Church, 850 S. Second St., Porum, Good Friday service, 7 p.m.