With water conditions expected to be in great shape for the July 4 holiday, many are planning a float trip along the Illinois River. If that is your plan, the Grand River Dam Authority welcomes you to the river to celebrate the holiday and reminds you to consult with your commercial float operator for the most up-to-date river conditions and floating information before starting your trip.
Additionally, the following tips can help promote a safe outing:
• ALWAYS wear your life jacket.
• Any first time or novice floaters should also pair with an experienced paddler/floater in a raft where there is a lesser chance of capsizing.
• Never swim or boat alone. Stay within sight of companions.
• Camp only in designated areas.
• Do not dive into the river from bridges, bluffs, stream banks and trees.
• Never take anything on your float trip that you don't want to lose. Check your car keys with the commercial float operator for safe keeping.
• Due to recent high waters, please be mindful that the river may contain some debris that presents navigational hazards.
• Finally, if you have an emergency on the water, call 911. The GRDA Police Department’s non-emergency number is (918) 256-0911.
The GRDA Scenic River Operations Office is located at 15971 N. Highway 10 in Tahlequah. The phone number is (918) 456-3251.